Friday, December 31, 2010

A Tribute to My All-time-favorites


I promised to write about my hiatus from blogging in the previous post... but hey promises are made to be broken anyway, aren't they? ;-) 
Actually its taking a little too long to write & I've spent a lot of time reading, watching TED videos, sketching & composing poetry over my last week at home instead. So thought of sharing one such composition...

Of Legends

I read Kipling, Pinter, Yeats, Tagore,
Cummings, Eliot, Frost and many more.
Enraptured and stolen away by their imagery
How each poem, each phrase, every allegory,
So neatly woven, it simply conveys
Life's most intricate and labyrinthine byways
What does it take to pen such epics?
What sparks an imagination so profound
That speaks to devotees and agnostics
Alike, impoverished as well as the crowned?
Must I fall head over heals in love,
Or measure what I owe to the One above?
Must I experience bewildering vicissitudes of time,
Or elope with the evening moon like partners in crime?
Must I decipher the abstracted language of thy heart,
Or stitch together pieces of life long drifted apart?
Must I open my eyes to our unwitting coincidences,
Or ears to the melody of solitude and despondences?
Must I awaken from the curse of a hazy narcosis
Only to animate memories I pretend to dismiss?
Must I shaken the convictions of an extremist,
Must I redefine humanity to those of us who exist,
Or values and traditions for which we've stopped caring,
Or the occult meaning of secret ironies we're sharing?
What must I do -
To create a poetry comparable to these legends?
Fact is, where their imagination begins, mine simply ends.
The poetess in me is a personification of a literary limit,
Naive, distracted, insipid and befuddled she is, I admit
Typing and backspacing, the futile hours she spends
Only to notice more room for evolution and amends
My humble experiments cannot fathom to ape these gems.
BUT even an obsession of where their genius stems
Is oh so insightful, so remarkable, so compelling,
So rejuvenating, so miraculous, so astounding,
That even a poetry about their poetry
Satisfies my hankering to some degree,
Allowing me to pursue something
As beautiful, something as resounding!

Here are some tentative titles of poems that await completion, if there is such a thing :P (settlement rather ;-)) I hope to complete at least one or two & blog before winter break ends. Time will tell!
  • Good Conversationalists
  • Beautiful "Imperfections" and "Ordinary" Things
  • Patience is Virtue
  • Secret Admirers
  • The Day I Run Out of Ideas
It is very obvious that I have no sense of meter or any technical skill whatsoever when it comes to composing poetry... so suggestions, comments, critique... any form of feeback most welcome! Also feel free to compose something in response & share :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Pankaj! & right back at you :-) (btw, Happy New Year!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can complain that I don't have the time
    But to lie that way is a crime..

    Excuse me, I am not that brilliant
    Nay, you are not valiant

    Oh No, who will read it?
    So, for whom are you writing it?

    Yes, I understand we can play their part,
    The truth is we don't have the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written Bala! I'm so glad the post brought forth a poetic side of you. You should compose again sometime.. the process of is quite exciting! I honestly do it for the amusement of the initial pathetic attempts my mind makes to rhyme, out of the blue loosing track of the story line :P lol
    Anyway, thanks for commenting & following. Its quite rewarding.

    ReplyDelete